Thursday, 25 February 2010
Wednesday, 24 February 2010
TOTR fav's UNI will be releasing A Love Supreme 2.0 on March 9th, the follow up to A LOVE SUPREME. For those who have yet to hear 'A love supreme' I suggest you go cop it now.
UNI are Thurzday and Y-O both hailing from Inglewood, LA .....and were named “Best Breakout LA Artist” at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards.
To download Desha Dayana a track that UNI made with Ro Blvd click here.
Tuesday, 23 February 2010
If you keep up to date with TOTR's contribution to the Boxfresh site you would have noticed that we recommended the Candle thieves a few weeks back.
If not then the Candle Thieves are Scott McEwan and Glockenshiels, a young English duo straight out of Toytown and they will be releasing their new single ‘We’re all gonna die’ on March 29th.
To listen to more of the Candle thieves or to check out their gig dates click here.
Monday, 22 February 2010
EMI have decided not to sell Abbey Rd. The record company has released a statement saying the studios, where The Beatles and many other big recording artists have recorded should stay under its ownership.
Saturday, 20 February 2010
Friday, 19 February 2010
I am slightly late on this considering 2million people have already viewed the original video. But for the ones who haven't check it out.
A TOTR verdict: The young guy deserved what he got.
Thursday, 18 February 2010
Wednesday, 17 February 2010
We met up with Legendary MC, "Rock N Rolla" and the new face of Boxfresh Kano for a bit of small talk.
London or New York?
London. Sorry Jay - Z but I'd have to say London purely because it's home. Oh and for the music and fashion.
Being signed or Independent?
Independent, you have freedom and the profit makes it worthwhile.
Breasts or Bum?
Bum, 60 - 40.
Tinie Tempah or Tinchy Stryder?
Tinie Tempah, I heard his tune the other day pass out. I like it.
Night in or Night Out?
A night in occasionally a night out.
Fried Chicken or A Kebab?
It has to be fried chicken, my Gran's fried chicken.
Blogs or Magazines?
Blogs, I've never really been a magazine fan. I also like the promotional perspective of a blog.
Alesha Dixon or Sabirna Washington?
John Terry or Rio Ferdinand for England Captain?
I've been talking about this all week. It has to be Rio Ferdinand, John Terry ain't serious.
Track of the Year 2010
1. Joy Orbison – Hyph Mngo [Hot Flush]
2. Floating Points – Vacuum Boogie [Eglo]
3. Zed Bias feat. Tawiah – Further Away [CDR]
4. Shafiq Husayn feat. Fatima – Lil’ Girl [Plug Research]
5. Darkstar – Aidy’s Girl Is A Computer [Hyperdub]
Album of the Year 2010
1. Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics – Inspiration Information Vol. 3 [Strut]
2. Martyn – Great Lengths 
3. Lee Fields – My World [Truth & Soul]
4. Quantic and his Combo Bárbaro – Tradition in Transition [Tru Thoughts]
5. Mos Def – The Ecstatic [Downtown]
Jazz Album of the Year 2010
1. Robert Glasper – Double Booked [Blue Note]
2. Matthew Halsall – Colour Yes [Gondwana]
3. Carlos Niño & Miguel Atwood Ferguson – Suite For Ma Dukes [Mochilla]
4. Harry Whitaker – Thoughts (Past and Present) [Smalls Records]
5. Build An Ark – LOVE Part 1 [Kindred Spirits]
Maida Vale Session of the Year 2010
Floating Points Ensemble
John Peel Play More Jazz Award 2010
Lifetime Achievement Award 2010
Monday, 15 February 2010
Friday, 12 February 2010
Betty Wright - Keep Love New
The Whispers - I'm the one for you
Thursday, 11 February 2010
1) Roll & Feel - Machine Drum
2) Slung lo - Erin McKeown
3) Now or Never - Mya
4) Cruising - Crazy P
5) Faithful - Fantom
Wednesday, 10 February 2010
The Headspace mixtape series is a collaboration of minds between the Basement Sessions podcasts and online Hip Hop community and the Hip Hop Hype Dog blog alongside UK Hip Hop Mixtapes.
Download the 32 track mixtape in 2 parts for FREE here:
PART 1 - PART 2
01. JVF Clique - Headspace Intro
02. K.I.N.E.T.I.K. - It Ain't Hard To See f. Jamieson
03. Asaviour & IQ - No Days Off f. Sir Smurf Lil (Akira Kiteshi Remix) (Headspace Exclusive)
04. Fallacy - Rap folly 2 f.Aggi Dukes
05. Lowkey - I'm Back (Dyson Remix)
06. Stig Of The Dump - Braindead f. RA The Rugged Man (Jehst Remix)
07. Skandal - Gluttony (Headspace Exclusive)
08. d.C. & Pennjamin- Fast Cars (Headspace Exclusive) DONE
09. Ben Black of The Delusionists - Supa Lyrical Excursion pt.2
10. Remus - Brap Brap f. Farma G
11. Brotherman & DJ Flipz - Born in the Ghetto
12. Yarah Bravo - Freedom Fighters
13. DJ IQ & Joker Starr - Sunshine
14. Oliver Sudden - C.C. for Life (Headspace Exclusive)
15. Tactical Thinking f. 3 Amigos, Jay Madden & Mic Dyson - Stampede (Lord Balrog Remix) (Headspace Exclusive)
16. Norrin Radd - Do You Understand f. Booda French (Mixed by Cross Bone T)
17. Juice Aleem - Hologram (Si Beggs Lost In The Hologram Mix) (Headspace Exclusive)
18. Obba Supa - Wet Dreams Over Nightmares (Headspace Exclusive)
19. Alphabetix - Slug Life f. Verbal Contact (Produced by Fidgit, mixed by Vice) (Headspace Exclusive)
20. Prose - Go On... (Headspace Exclusive)
21. JVF Clique - Flow Nutters (Headspace Exclusive)
22. Figment - Floor By Floor
23. Ty - Don't Cry (Headspace Exclusive)
24. London Zoo - Piece of Mind (Jed Mix) (Headspace Exclusive)
25. Jack Flash - Harass The City (Headspace Exclusive)
26. Chima Anya - KOS (remix) (Cuts by DJ Slipdisc) (Headspace Exclusive)
27. Redbeard - Sick On My Jumpa f. Sonny Jim & Kosyne (Wizard Remix) (Headspace Exclusive)
28. Blacksmith & Jagos - Edge of Breakthrough (Headspace Exclusive)
29. Mystro - Maintain (Produced by Earth Hip Hop)
30. Genesis Elijah - I'm Doin It
31. Skuff & Inja - Sunnicide
32. Just Muz - Soulful Stuff
Monday, 8 February 2010
Canon today announces a groundbreaking new addition to its expanding, world-famous EOS range of Digital SLR cameras – the EOS 550D.The EOS 550D redefines the boundaries of Canon’s consumer DSLR range, incorporating technologies and features more commonly found in semi-professional DSLRs into the compact, lightweight body favoured by consumers. With a newly-developed 18 Megapixel (MP) APS-C CMOS sensor, coupled with Canon’s advanced DIGIC 4 image processor and the ability to shoot Full HD movies, photography enthusiasts are empowered to explore new levels of creativity.
Creative control with no compromise on quality
The EOS 550D makes Canon’s powerful imaging technology more accessible to consumers. Canon’s advanced DIGIC 4 image processor and 18MP sensor support standard ISO settings of 100 – 6400 (expandable to 12800), while enhanced in-camera noise reduction technology boosts performance in low light conditions. The system’s 14-bit image processing also produces smoother tonal gradation and natural looking colours for high quality prints and on-screen display.
For swift and accurate focusing, the EOS 550D features a 9-point AF system with one extra-sensitive cross–type point at the centre for f/2.8 or faster lenses. The EOS 550D also supports high-speed, continuous shooting at 3.7 frames per second (fps). These features provide users with the opportunity to exert greater control over their images, allowing them to capture split-second moments with ease and accuracy.
Continuing Canon’s tradition of filtering new technology and features down from its advanced and professional DSLR ranges, the EOS 550D includes the iFCL metering system first launched in the EOS 7D. New for EOS is the ability to set the top limit for automatic ISO, allowing users to control the maximum amount of noise in their images. In a first for entry level EOS, exposure compensation and bracketing can be set up to plus or minus five and two stops respectively, allowing the photographer to take a number of differently exposed versions of the same shot to ensure they capture a well-exposed image, even in difficult lighting conditions.
“Digital SLR photography has captured the imagination of consumers globally,” said Kieran Magee, Director of Product Planning, Consumer Products, Canon Europe. “Every year, more and more individuals are looking to record key life events with unrivalled quality or to test and explore their creativity. The EOS 550D redefines the entry level DSLR category, putting technologies and features previously the preserve of the professional into the hands of the consumer – allowing them to achieve outstanding results. With the EOS 550D, consumers are free to explore the limits of their own creative vision.”
EOS Movies: Full HD video with creative control
As the ability to record Full HD video becomes increasingly important, Canon continues to deliver DSLR technology that sets the industry benchmark for multimedia functionality. The EOS 550D records video in full 1920×1080p HD resolution, allowing photographers to select the frame rate preferred from 30, 25 and 24fps, as well as offering 720p video at 60 and 50fps. The EOS 550D also includes a 3.5mm stereo microphone socket, enabling the use of an external microphone when capturing video.
Photographers can also take manual control over exposure settings, changing the depth of field and degree of motion blur to shoot more creatively. To provide the best possible video quality, highlight tone priority (HTP) can be set independently for movie capture, without changing any still image capture settings. In situations where the subject is further away, the EOS 550D Movie Crop function records with the central 640×480 pixel area of the sensor, creating an effective magnification of approximately seven times. The EOS 550D is the first in the EOS range to feature Movie Crop and gives consumers more flexibility to capture important moments which would otherwise be too far away.
A clear view of your world
The EOS 550D also allows photographers to view their images and video in unhindered clarity. A 7.7cm (3.0”) 3:2 Clear View LCD screen with 1,040k dot resolution makes it possible to see 100% of captured images with no borders. The anti-reflective, water-repellent coating also makes it easier to see the screen in bright conditions and from a variety of angles.
EOS build – Canon quality
As consumers would expect from an EOS DSLR, the EOS 550D is built to a high quality specification. It features bigger, more intuitive buttons which have been redesigned following feedback from users. Based on this feedback, the EOS 550D also features an additional button on the new, battery grip, allowing aperture settings to be changed when shooting with the camera in a vertical position, without having to reorient the body.
Share the moment with friends and family
For EOS 550D photographers, shooting great pictures and video is just a first step. Thanks to an integrated HDMI port compatible with High-Definition Multimedia Interface – Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI-CEC), video and images stored on the EOS 550D can be viewed on an HD-ready TV and controlled via the TV remote.
For users who want to transfer content wirelessly, the EOS 550D includes Eye-Fi* connected functions. The EOS 550D features a dedicated Eye-Fi section in the User Interface and it disables the automatic power-down function when an Eye-Fi card is transmitting – allowing users to transfer content easily and without interruption**.
The EOS 550D is fully compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX series Speedlite flash units, including the compact Speedlite 270EX. The EOS 550D is also compatible with the new RC-6 Remote Control, allowing photographers to capture high quality stills and Full HD video without touching the camera body. The slimline infrared controller can trigger the shutter release from up to five metres away, with users able to select either immediate release or a two second delay for greater flexibility when shooting. As well as supporting EOS 550D, the RC-6 is also compatible with the EOS 450D, 500D, 7D and 5D Mark II.
Features at a glance:
- 18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 4 processor with ISO 100-6400 (Expansion to 12800)
- Continuous shooting at 3.7fps
- Full HD movie recording with manual control and selectable frame rates
- 7.7cm (3.0”) 3:2 Clear View LCD with 1,040k dots
- iFCL metering System with 63-zone Dual-layer Metering Sensor
- Quick Control screen to change shooting settings
- Exposure compensation +/-5 stops.
- Select maximum value for Auto ISO
- External Microphone socket
- Movie crop function
- Eye-Fi connected functions compatibility
Wednesday, 3 February 2010
This weekend sees the annual celebration of J Dilla through his music at Scala presented by The Doctor's orders.
*All proceeds from the night will be donated to the J-Dilla Foundation & Lupus UK
This event is a must attend and if you haven't already got a ticket then I suggest you camp outside the night before so that you have a chance of getting in.
The line up consists of:
Shortee Blitz (Kiss FM / Extended Players)
Mr Thing (BBE / Extended Players)
Spin Doctor (The Doctor’s Orders)
Sarah Love (1xtra / MTV)
Marc Mac (4Hero / Visioneers)
DJ LoK (Dilla breaks set)
Bruce Wayne (Unreleased beats set)
Doors open 7pm til late
If you don't who J Dilla is shame on you, if you have never been to a Doctors Orders event shame on you. If you're missing out on Sunday watch the video below to show you what you're going to miss.